Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
Position is located in UW Tower.
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Established in 1920, the University of Washington Press supports the University's research, education, and outreach missions by publishing important new work for an international community of scholars, students, and intellectually curious readers. As one of the largest book publishers in the Pacific Northwest, the press also offers a broad range of regional books for general readers, often developed in partnership with museums, cultural organizations, and local indigenous communities.
The Press is currently expanding its publishing program and, with this growth, is eager to bring in new ideas, new enthusiasm, and the opportunity to work collaboratively with a terrific team of publishing professionals. Based in Seattle, the press is part of a vibrant book culture, with independent bookstores, museums, libraries, and book supporters throughout the city and region.
We have an outstanding opportunity for a Director of Marketing and Sales. Reporting to the Director of the Press, the Marketing and Sales Director is a senior member of the Press management team and is responsible for creating and executing the marketing and sales strategies of the Press. This position directs and manages all programs and activities of the Marketing and Sales department, including sales, publicity, advertising, direct mail, e-marketing, exhibits, and awards. The Marketing and Sales Director supervises and coordinates the work of three full-time departmental staff and a student marketing assistant. This position is also responsible for managing the departmental Marketing and Sales budget, forecasting book sales, and providing a deep level of sales analysis for both print and digital publications.
1. Plan, communicate, and implement comprehensive sales and marketing strategies for backlist, current, and forthcoming press titles; recommend print runs, publication models, prices, and discounts for all new books, and communicate plans to press staff, series editors, and authors. (25%)
2. Manage domestic and international sales representatives. Conduct biannual sales conferences and call on national and local accounts, including the generation of all wholesaler sales and buy reports. Identify and pursue special sales opportunities. Conduct annual backlist price and discount reviews and recommend pricing and discount changes. Provide a deep level of sales analysis for publications, including annual sales forecasts (domestic and foreign), sales by subject area, series, market channel, and territory. Provide one-year book anniversary sales reviews. (20%).
3. Manage the press database to generate all ONIX data feeds and supply images for Press vendors and clients; organize all internal and distributed metadata for optimal feeds; serve as primary contact for all wholesaler and metadata recipients; manage price, discount, and status changes and communicate to vendors (including Amazon); serve as primary contact for Hopkins Fulfillment Services (HFS) and customers; process metadata and make corrections. (15%)
4. Work with press director and senior management team to create and implement short-term and long-term strategies for the press. Attend weekly management team meetings and planning retreats. (15%).
5. Serve as a key member of the press's digital publishing team. Provide direction and strategy for press website as a critical marketing and sales tool. (10%).
6. Create and manage departmental budget. Forecast and track all annual marketing and sales expenses. (5%).
7. Work closely with press director and acquisitions team to determine sales potential for prospective titles and series. Provide comparative sales data. (5%).
8. Provide support for and participate in press development activities and programs. (3%).
9. Conduct annual performance and goal-setting reviews for all direct reports (2%).
Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience in a marketing and/or sales department at a scholarly, professional, or commercial publisher.
Demonstrated success in developing effective marketing and sales programs for a range of scholarly, trade, and academic crossover publications.
Experience with ONIX metadata generation and transmission.
Ability to think strategically about the rapidly evolving role of academic publishing.
Excellent written and oral communication skills for developing productive working relationships and communicating effectively with press staff, authors, series editors, campus contacts, sales representatives, customers, publishing partners, and vendors.
Strong organizational skills. Must be able to juggle and prioritize multiple complex projects and tasks and meet deadlines.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and knowledge of Adobe Acrobat. Ability to use databases to generate required monthly, annual, and other routine sales reports.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
The ideal candidate will have experience in marketing, promotion, sales analysis, forecasting, budgeting, staff management, and strategic planning, and proven track record of sales growth.
Experience and proficiency with Filemaker Pro or the Allbooks database a plus.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The person in this position will be working in an open office environment. Must be willing to travel locally, regionally, and nationally, as necessary, to make sales calls, meet with vendors, and attend select press conferences and trade shows. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to attend press events scheduled on evenings and weekends. Some lifting of cartons and books is required; some set-up of exhibit booths is also required.
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select Apply to this position. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your My Jobs page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergra...duate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.
The Marketing Career Network (MCN) is an online recruitment resource that aligns employers with professional marketing membership organizations. It brings together audiences from in every marketing discipline and connects them through a single job board network – it is the place marketers go...