Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration/CFO
For the last 16 years, the Voter Participation Center (VPC), a 501(c)(3) civic engagement organization, has led the way in recognizing and harnessing the potential power of the Rising American Electorate (RAE) – unmarried women, people of color, and young people – as a vital voting bloc. VPC has positioned itself as the leading experimental and scientific civic engagement organization by accumulating more than a decade’s worth of knowledge and experience in registering and turning out the new majority of eligible voters. VPC’s programs have consistently proven to be some of the most impactful and cost-effective programs—and to date VPC has registered almost 4 million Americans to vote. VPC continues to innovate with its approach and techniques to impact greater civic engagement, registration, and turnout.
The Center for Voter Information (CVI) is a separate but affiliated progressive 501(c)(4) nonprofit that works to engage and persuade both the RAE as well as the broader electorate.
The Controller manages one staff accountant and is responsible for all financial aspects of the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, grant compliance and financial systems. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with the US generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and the implementation of policies and procedures to ensure proper controls are in place to mitigate organizational risk. The Controller is responsible for being proactive in keeping up to date with all new accounting pronouncements, proper treatment of new revenue sources, and any other developments in the compliance space that could impact the organization. This position also includes direct support to the CFO in on-going management and implementation of strategic plans and development of tactical plans. The Controller will also support the CFO in strengthening inter-departmental communications and other staff engagement initiatives vital to the success of the organization.
Specific Duties: Accounting (70%)
• Maintain the system of accounts, ledgers, and fiscal records on all transactions and assets, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and legal and regulatory requirements. • Develop and maintain ‘best in class’ internal control framework in collaboration with the CFO. • Participates in the development of the annual budget and assists directors with departmental budget preparation. • Oversees operating, capital and cash flow budgets and assists senior management in exercising control to ensure expenditures do not exceed budgetary goals. • Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the financial close process (monthly, quarterly, and annual year-end closes) including preparation of journal entries, additional supporting schedules, and key account analysis and reconciliations. • Oversee all department, project, and grants financial accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with related budgets; develop high quality financial report materials for foundation and individual grants and assure they are delivered timely to funders in compliance with donor requirements. • Coordinates payroll functions and related reporting. • Prepare monthly bank statement reconciliations for review by the CFO. • Prepare monthly cost-sharing allocations between the two organizations for review by the CFO, and work with the VPC staff to ensure proper training and compliance. • Reviews invoices submitted for payment with appropriate department personnel for accuracy before payment.
Team Leadership (15%)
• Provide effective management, coaching, and development to staff accountant and any other future direct reports. • In consultation with CFO, directs the development of short- and long-term goals and priorities for the Finance team. • Provide leadership in building effective relationships with internal staff and external stakeholders, with a particular focus on customer service and problem solving.
Financial Systems (15%)
VPC will be choosing and implementing a new ERP financial system in the next year. This position will provide critical ERP project management and subject matter expertise as follows:
• Continued stewardship of the current financial system until the new one is selected and implemented.
• When the time comes, co-lead the financial design, management, and implementation of the related modules of the ERP system. Evaluate and re-engineer processes to standardize, simplify and build efficiencies across the organization.
• Act as primary liaison with all VPC departments to design and implement seamless interfaces, ensuring effectiveness and efficiency of data exchange. Assure that staff are adequately trained.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting and CPA license or Master’s degree in business or related field. • A minimum 10 years of accounting and finance experience, at least five of which must be at a managerial level. • Knowledge of the nonprofit arena. • Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required. • Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and external partners.
• Direct experience in the nonprofit arena; emphasis will be placed on experience in a complex nonprofit environment that has multiple program areas. • Knowledge of grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of corporate, foundation, and individual grants. • Highly proficient in QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel and Word. • Experience with the financial management and compliance requirements for a 501(c)(3) with a related 501(c)(4).
Additional Salary Information: Free Healthcare Provided - No Premiums!
About The Voter Participation Center
The Voter Participation Center is working to make the U.S. electorate more representative of our nation's population. In a representative democracy, each community needs to cast their votes to ensure their voice is heard. Right now the Rising American Electorate – unmarried women, people of color and citizens under the age of thirty – makes up 53 percent of the voting age population, but comprise 63 percent of all unregistered citizens.
Since 2003, we’ve helped register more than 4 million American voters through our pioneering mail and online voter registration programs. In 2018 alone, we helped register nearly 400,000 people – and we’re just getting started. Our goal is to generate 1.5 million registration applications in the 2020 election cycle.
The Marketing Career Network (MCN) is an online recruitment resource that aligns employers with professional marketing membership organizations. It brings together audiences from in every marketing discipline and connects them through a single job board network – it is the place marketers go...