To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The Director of Marketing and Outreach is responsible for developing and implementing marketing brand and recruitment strategies for the College of Business (COB) undergraduate and graduate programs and supporting the needs of prospective students.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Collaborate with the Dean and others to create and promote the COB’s marketing brand. 2. Collaborate with the Dean and others to craft and realize COB’s strategic recruitment and enrollment plan. 3. Continuously evaluate and develop creative recruitment techniques and strategies. 4. Execute the COB’s marketing brand via developing and executing an interactive and unified communication strategy for COB’s print, digital and social media presence such as the COB’s website, Facebook and blog. 5. Align COB marketing with university marketing and utilize assets of UMC to focus on high impact outcomes. 6. Write and edit content for the development of marketing pieces and key communication including the Impact Magazine, the COB Building Campaign, fund-raising pieces, and other key stakeholders. 7. Coordinate with the faculty committee to prepare a semi-annual e-newsletter for alumni and friends. 8. Regularly send consistent, branded information to prospective students, teachers and secondary school administrators including emails, personal notes, and letters. 9. Utilize the CRM system effectively. 10. Implement strategic alliances with business teachers and secondary school administrators. 11. Create informative and supportive lines of communications with students and parents, working closely with individual students to guide them through the college selection process. 12. Manage a team of current student ambassadors to assist with recruitment initiatives and programs, as well as promote the COB internally and with special guests, candidates, and board members. 13. Promote faculty research, teaching and service accomplishments. 14. Partner with the Admissions Office for recruitment training and to develop and execute recruitment strategy, plan recruitment events, discuss outreach efforts, review applications for admission, and assist collaboratively as needed. 15. Work with Financial Aid on the disbursement of COB first year scholarships to increase enrollment. 16. Implement creative initiatives to promote COB through high school/community colleges. 17. Attract and host individuals and groups from high schools and community colleges for visits and tours of COB. 18. Meet with prospective students who are on campus for a campus tour who have expressed interested in COB programs to provide details on COB majors, involvement opportunities, and outcomes. 19. Organize the annual Impact Scholarship competition or its university equivalent. 20. Prepare and give presentations to small and large groups. 21. Travel as necessary to promote College of Business, recruit prospective students, and attend regional college fairs. 22. Serve on College and University committees as appropriate. 23. Assist Coordinator of Academic Services as needed. 24. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. **
● Experience with brand management development and execution; writing, editing, and proofreading text, preferably in a higher education setting. ● Experience working in undergraduate admissions, higher education student services, or analogous customer settings. ● Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Experience working with high school students in a marketing/recruiting capacity. ● Demonstrated experience with personal, academic, professional and leadership development of students. ● Experience developing social media strategies to meet organizational goals. ● Experience working independently with limited supervision. ● Experience dealing with confidential information.
● Proven positive attitude with excellent oral/written communication, presentation, customer service, and interpersonal skills. ● Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, work independently, collaboratively, and thrive on challenges. ● Capability of prioritizing multiple tasks in a proactive manner, meeting deadlines, and displaying attention to detail ● Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs, provide quality service, persuasively present ideas, and commit to customer satisfaction. ● Demonstrated ability to build relationships with faculty, students, parents, staff, and counselors. ● Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and execute events. ● Demonstrated willingness to adopt a flexible work schedule that may include limited evening and weekend hours. ● Demonstrated ability and willingness to travel throughout the year for external recruiting trips. ● Possession of a valid driver’s license and demonstrated ability to comply with Michigan Tech vehicle use requirements. ● Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. ● Demonstrated ability to develop and direct effective recruitment strategies and programs targeting undergraduate students.
Insert Safety Language. **
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Demonstrated success designing and providing recruitment programs to attract students. ● Experience producing web-based communication campaigns, marketing materials, or large- scale publications, preferably in higher education settings. ● Demonstrated knowledge working with students. ● Demonstrated ability to create and implement strategic plans based on university mission and vision. ● Proactive and creative approach to problem solving. ● Experience with personal computers and software packages including advanced features of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, social media, online chat, and computer-based contact management systems. ● Demonstrated ability to utilize current marketing and enrollment management strategies, database management, and current technologies. ● Demonstrated knowledge of admissions computing and research technology
Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints. **
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable No Less Than $55,000
Title of Position Supervisor
Internal & External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.
The Marketing Career Network (MCN) is an online recruitment resource that aligns employers with professional marketing membership organizations. It brings together audiences from in every marketing discipline and connects them through a single job board network – it is the place marketers go...